Teri has worked as a school Social Worker at Hailey Elementary since 1995. She received an undergraduate degree in Social Work from Boise State University in 1988, a Master’s degree in Social Work from Walla Walla University in 1991 and a Clinical Social Work endorsement in 2015. She serves as the district’s coordinator for the Harassment Investigation Team and as a committee member for the district’s Emergency Response Team. Teri volunteers for several community organizations - currently serving as a Board Member for Higher Ground Sun Valley, assisting individuals with disabilities; a member of the Professional Advisory Committee for Hospice Of The Wood River Valley; and as a member of the region’s Medical Reserve Corps, to respond to local and national emergencies. Prior to her work with the school system, Teri worked in various social work fields such as Medical Oncology, Juvenile Justice and Children & Family Services. Teri was the founder and past president of the Idaho School Social Worker Association and a recipient of St. Luke’s Regional Medical Center President’s Award.
I grew up in Wyoming. I attended the University of Wyoming and obtained my bachelors in Social Work. Over the years I’ve worked in a variety of different areas within the social work field including: Probation and Parole, Director the Blaine County Senior Center, Children and Family Services, Home Health and Hospice, and Community Recourse Worker. After I raised my two children, I obtained my masters of Social Work from Boise State University.
I am a career social worker, spending the last 21 years working in the Blaine County School District. Being a school social worker offers a perfect opportunity to meet and work with children, which I love! Seeing each individual grow to meet their own full potential is a joy to me. I feel very fortunate and I am very happy to work with this incredible team at Hailey Elementary!
When I’m not at the Elementary School you can find me out riding my horse, biking, hiking, gardening or spending time with my family and friends.
Masters Degree in Social Work from Boise State University
I am a Licensed Master Social Worker for the State of Idaho
Things We Do
Here at Hailey Elementary School we have a resource library. Parents may check out resources, including books and videos. Please contact Teri McKenna or Jeanette Mcllhenny if you are interested.
Some of our job roles here at Hailey Elementary are:
- Teaching-Social/Emotional skills– teaching class lessons on subjects:
- Problem Solving
- Social Thinking (Social Skills)
- Anger and Stress Management
- Personal Safety
- Sexual Harassment
- Counseling-Individual and Group Supportive Counseling for Students:
- Social Thinking (Social Skills & Behavior Management)
- Grief and Loss
- Student / Teacher conflict
- Individual issues
- Friendship Issues
- Helping Families:
- Referrals for scholarships to participate in sport/activities
- Accessing Scholarships for Counseling
- Helping with concerns for students' social/emotional/academic well-being
- Advocating for parents and families
- Linking families to resources and community help
- Linking families with seasonal help
- 504 Coordinator: Managing accommodation plans for students with a qualifying medical issues or diagnosis.
- Homelessness Liaison: Identifying and serving the needs of families qualifying as homeless.
- Multi-disciplinary team member: Serving as a Multi-disciplinary team member for the RTI (Response To Intervention) process to ensure social/emotional/behavioral/academic success for students.
- Crisis Response: Providing Intervention in response to crisis situations.
** To learn more about the role of School Social Workers, visit the District Web Site: Social Work