English Language Development (ELD)
Welcome to the ELD Comet Team Page!
"We Believe All Students Can Achieve"
~Heather Wolpert Gawron~
Mary Kaiser (Teacher), Meghan Murphy (Teacher)
What does ELD mean anyway?
ELD stands for English Language Development. Anyone who grew up learning or hearing a language other then English in their home, might benefit from extra support developing the academic English skills necessary to be successful in school.
Our mission is to help your student reach their greatest potential. We are here to advocate for you and your student(s), to provide quality instruction with high expectations as students build their abilities to speak, listen, read and write in academic English.
- We believe students should be provided access to grade level content and materials while learning academic English.
- We believe in providing our students opportunities to develop a strong cultural identity.
- We believe academic English is crucial to success in school.
- We believe knowing more than one language is an educational, cultural and cognitive benefit.
- We believe that all children have a unique story, learning style and develop language fluency at different rates.
- We believe learning is a life-long process.
Did you know supporting a student in their first language also supports them in their second language? The words and ideas they learn at home make it easier for them to learn English by creating a strong concept foundation. So, yes! Please speak to your child in your first language.