What is Special Education?
Blaine County School District Special Education programs exist to provide services to our students who meet eligibility requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) under one of the thirteen disability categories allowed in the State of Idaho. All district schools are served by special education professionals and related service providers, but not all schools offer the same programs.
There isn’t a “one size fits all” approach when it comes to special education services. Once a student has qualified for services, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team determines appropriate goals and accommodations/modifications based on each student’s individual needs. All students, however, are required to receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in his/her least restrictive environment (LRE). Idaho State Department of Education defines the above terms:
- FAPE: A basic Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 2004 requirement which states that special education and related services are provided at public expense (free); in conformity with an appropriately developed IEP (appropriate); under public supervision and direction (public); and include preschool, elementary, and secondary education that meets the education standards, regulations, and administrative policies and procedures issued by the state department.
- LRE: The IDEA 2004 requirement that students with disabilities, including those in public or private institutions or other care facilities, be educated with students who are non-disabled to the maximum extent appropriate.
What is Our Vision?
Our vision is to provide an education where every student with special needs,regardless of disability, has the opportunity to grow and learn in a secure environment where individual needs are assessed and nurtured.
What is Our Mission?
Our mission is to provide all students with special needs an opportunity to flourish in a learning environment where academics, social/emotional learning and independence are fostered.
What are Our Goals?
To help students succeed.
To support students, families, teachers and administrators.
To develop support systems with general education.
To represent the misrepresented.
To provide direct instruction in fundamental skills.
To accelerate learning.
To ensure the least restrictive environment.
To function as a team.
To follow the law.
Special Education Questions and Answers:
- FAQ: Eligibility for special education
- FAQ: The Individual Education Program (IEP)
- FAQ: Educational Special Education Programs
Need More Information?