Welcome to Kindergarten!
Hemingway STEAM School currently has 3 Kindergarten classes.
Our vision is simple. We want all of our Kindergarten students to feel successful, acquire academic skills, strive for social responsibility, and develop a love for learning. In addition, we recognize that student learning is an ongoing life-long process.
Our Kindergarten team has worked to integrate our curriculum with the Common Core Standards as well as our social studies, science, health and social emotional standards. We are excited to provide our students with hands on experiences while answering real world questions.
Kindergarten is a fun and exciting time for your child. Understanding the goals, curriculum, and expectations will allow you to help and guide your child at home as you support his/her school experience.
- Listen and participate during group time
- Stay on task during independent, small group and whole group activities
- Work cooperatively in a group of 2 or 3, taking turns and sharing materials
- Follow directions and classroom rules
- Recognize and read social cues or follow actions of others
- Express/identify feelings
- Create lasting friendships
- Know personal information: parents' names & other family members, phone number, address, birthday, first & last name
- Be a good sport and play fair during class and on the playground
- Recognize capital and lower case letters
- Understand letter and sound relationships
- Identify more than 48 letter names per minute & 36 letter sounds per minute
- Understand print concepts: know what a word is, know that print goes left to right and top to bottom, explain the terms author, illustrator, illustration, cover, title page
- Participate in shared reading (big books, morning messages, etc.)
- Participate in guided reading (small books with repetitive text)
- Recognize and produce rhyming words
- Learn at least 25 sight words
- Learn to spell sight words, CVC words and CVCe words
- Count to 100
- Count back from 20
- Count on from a number within a known sequence
- Recognize numerals to 20
- Participate in calendar work: recognize and extend patterns, know days of the week, months, seasons
- Count by tens to 100, begin counting by 5s
- Copy, recognize and create patterns
- Sort, classify, count and label groups of objects
- Write numerals 1-20
- Add and subtract within 10 using objects or a picture/model
- Solve simple story problems using objects, pictures or models
- Count with 1 to 1 correspondence to 30
- Understand and use the terms more than, less than, equal
- Recognize shapes
Fine Motor Goals
- Write comfortably with a pencils, crayons and markers in lines and spaces
- Cut with scissors comfortably
- Control a crayon and marker
- Buttoning and zipping coats
- Manipulate a backpack
- Tie shoes
- Help teacher write words and sentences by supplying letter sounds
- Using letter/sound relationships to attempt to write words and sentences independently
- Learning the proper formation of letters
- Writing first and last name
- Use letter sounds knowledge to stretch words and write with best guessing
All kindergarten children are given the opportunity to receive out of class instruction in Art, Music, Technology, and P.E., and Instructional Technology. Weekly visits are also made to the school library to listen to stories and participate in book appreciation activities.
Parents are always welcome in our program. Opportunities for parent participation are arranged to accommodate parent's schedules with respect for cultural and family differences.
- Hemingway Elementary
- Hemingway STEAM School
- Veronica Broderick
- Melanie Dembergh
- Julie Swenke