Our Second Grade team includes dedicated and dynamic teachers. Our team consists of 2 Regular Education classes and 2 Dual Immersion. We value communication between students, parents, and teachers. We believe in a full partnership between school and home. As a team we work together, integrating curriculum to provide a well balanced education to foster the growth of each student.
Investigations: Activity based exploratory program using manipulatives to progress from concrete ideas to abstract ideas. Emphasis is on developing multiple strategies, and reasoning mathematical ideas.
- Houghton Mifflin: Balanced literacy program that incorporates all different facets of reading-phonemic awareness, phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency
- Guided Reading groups that are homogeneous and flexible.
- Centers are used to foster independence, responsibility, and social skills.
- Accelerated Reading Program: Students are tested for a readingrange and comprehension skills. Students must know first 100 STAR words to participate.
Spelling and Writing
- The spelling program is supplied through the reading program. It consists of spelling patterns.
- Six Traits of Good Writing are taught during "Writers' Workshop".
- Publishing House: Students publish books after going through the writing process.
Science, Social Studies and Health
- Foss Kits: Units on Weather, Air, Solids and Liquids, Plants and Animals
- Teaming with other second grade teachers: Earth Day, MLK Jr., Presidents Day, Holidays Around the World, etc.
- Themes: communities, families
- Field Trips to support the curriculum: Community Walk, Sun Valley Center for the Arts (SVCA), Sawtooth National Recreational Area (SNRA)
- Health is supported in P.E., Nurture, and by the Social Worker.